22 Apr 2012
Y for Youth: Founding Angel 001
As part of our on-going efforts to make the world a better workplace we are proud to announce our partnership with Y for Youth as their Founding Angel 001 – the first of 100 required to get this amazing project off the ground! As at the writing of this post, we have since been joined by Cookie Time, Navman Wireless and Ignition – momentum is building!
We have been providing Advisory Board support to the Y for Youth Team (Alex Greig, Lara Jane Maloney and Tracy Hanify) since they first raised the idea with us in September 2011. In that time the team have clearly demonstrated their passion, commitment and ‘we’re serious’ approach to what has the potential to be a world changing initiative in charitable and cause related funding.
Youth need mentors – career pathways – character building opportunities – basic life skills – positive role models:
• New Zealand has the second highest rate of youth suicide in the developed world
• New Zealand was ranked second worst among 37 countries when it comes to bullying in primary schools
• 23% of our youth are unemployed (15 – 24 years)
There are many organisations and programs assisting youth. Just some of the challenges they face:
• They compete for funding independently of each other
• Restrictions on funds limit the potential to scale-up successful programs
• Often funding is dependent on irregular donations, creating uncertainty
• ‘Donor fatigue’ is an issue affecting all charities
By providing sustained funding, Y for YOUTH will minimise the burden of fundraising and competing for grants, thereby enabling youth organisations to use their resources more effectively and scale capacity to impact a greater number of youth. In addition, Y for YOUTH will measure and report on the effectiveness of youth organisations to enable them to become more effective while ensuring the most successful use of funding.
Let’s consider a new idea – the power of the marketplace to create change. People want to ‘make a difference’ and support socially responsible brand and companies.
Brands and companies want cause-marketing opportunities that provide a return while demonstrating they care.
In today’s modern world, to be a great company you have to be a good company. Y for YOUTH presents a turnkey social branding system that:
• Provides a quick and effective method for companies to begin their Corporate Social Responsibility programs
• Empowers consumers to support youth by purchasing from supporting companies
• Increases sales and creates positive publicity for participating companies
Being a Y Company will also offer organisations an additional competitive advantage in the war for talent. Increasingly people are looking for meaning in their work and to know that they are part of making a difference in the world, part of something bigger than themselves – not just trading their time for money. Drawing a clear and direct line between the work they do, the profitability of the company and the support of youth change initiatives will do just that. They’ll have a sense of purpose, pride and some great stories to share with the world, including the talent you want to hire!
Y for YOUTH – OBJECTIVES
1. To create ongoing revenue that is not dependent on large one off donations, campaigns and events to provide sustained funding for youth development programs.
2. To provide a philanthropic system that results in a measurable increase in sales, public perception and profitability for all participating Y for YOUTH companies and brands.
3. To provide a system that empowers consumers to make a positive difference and support youth programs through the products and services they purchase.
4. To create a well-known and publicized organization and brand supported by the entire community that fosters long-term relationships that benefit all stakeholders.
5. To provide a documented template of systems and methodology with the intention of being duplicated and scaled internationally.
“We cannot build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.” Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 – 1945)
If educating, enabling and empowering youth to build a better future for themselves is in line with your personal and organisational purpose and values, then Y for Youth might be just the way you could make a difference.